Performance Recording allows you to find the kinks in your dashboard, find out how long different part of the workbooks load. It provides great guide in helping making the dashboard smoother and faster to run.
Events with longer durations can help you identify where to look first if you want to speed up your workbook.
In order to record performance
Help> Settings & Performance > Start Performance Recording
Different colors indicate different types of events. The range of events that can be recorded is:
- Computing layouts: If layouts are taking too long, consider simplifying your workbook.
- Connecting to data source: Slow connections could be due to network issues or issues with the database server.
- Executing query
- For live connections, if queries are taking too long, it could be because the underlying data structure isn’t optimized for Tableau. Consult your database server’s documentation. As an alternative, consider using an extract to speed performance.
- For extracts, if queries are taking too long, review your use of filters. If you have a lot of filters, would a context filter make more sense? If you have a dashboard that uses filters, consider using action filters, which can help with performance.
- Generating extract: To speed up extract generation, consider only importing some data from the original data source. For example, you can filter on specific data fields, or create a sample based on a specified number of rows or percentage of the data.
- Geocoding:To speed up geocoding performance, try using less data or filtering out data.
- Blending data: To speed up data blending, try using less data or filtering out data.
- Server rendering: You can speed up server rendering by running additional VizQL Server processes on additional machines.